Sunday, June 14, 2015

Review: The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood





I bought The Killer Next Door as a Daily Deal on Audible this month. The narrator, Imogen Church was fabulous with the variety of voices, female and male as well as her fantastic British accent. 

Publishers Summary


Everyone who lives at 23 Beulah Grove has a secret. If they didn't, they wouldn't be renting rooms in a dodgy old building for cash - no credit check, no lease. It's the kind of place you end up when you you've run out of other options.The six residents mostly keep to themselves, but one unbearably hot summer night, a terrible accident pushes them into an uneasy alliance. What they don't know is that one of them is a killer. He's already chosen his next victim, and he'll do anything to protect his secret.


This is a pretty creepy psychological thriller, all the neighbors are renting a room in a boarding house in London. A variety of interesting characters from all walks of life, some hiding secrets, and little do they know that there is a killer among them. There are many edge of your seat moments that are thrilling...and some scenes (be forewarned) that are gross and creepy that will make you want to cringe. The narrator truly made the story come alive for me as a reader/listener. This is a true page turner and keeps you wanting to know more until the grisly truth is revealed! Be forewarned, some scenes are not for the faint of heart. I'm not a big horror fan so this book doesn't fit into that category for me. Recommended for fans of psychological thrillers and suspense. 






© Copyright 2015- All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. I'm in awe of narrators who can perform different voices and keep them straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and Imogen Church did it perfectly in this book. That's what I love about audiobooks, a great narrator brings the story to life.

      Delete
  2. I love when you find a great narrator with an audiobook - makes such a difference. Although, it sounds like this one would work in print, too. You might skip over the gross and creepy that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I think this would work in print as well although this narrator made the book so much better for my reading experience.

      Delete
  3. I have this book in print, but have not read it yet. I did read Alex Marwood's previous book, Wicked Girls, and enjoyed it a lot. Good to know this one works well on audio. Sometimes, I switch it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Wicked Girls. I plan to read it, it's a different narrator so I may stick to print.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!